The AS Roma legend Francesco Totti is a worldwide myth but his adoration in Rome is something that must be deeply studied.
Recently, Francesco Totti marked his 25th season with Roma increasing his incredible record in football even more. The AS Roma legend is a phenomenon on and off of the pitch thanks to his immense class and great humility. He is recognized worldwide for his attachment to the giallorossi and his repeated refusal to join big European clubs such as Real Madrid and Berlusconi’s AC Milan that would have paid any amount to sign him.
The story between Francesco Totti and the club of Trigoria is made of a reciprocal love, passion, and money, ASRoma360 analyzed these aspects in a previous article.
[sz-youtube url=”https://youtu.be/g6CHThoVNJY” width=”620″ height=”264″ /]
UEFA.com explains why the Italian capital chose him as their king by highlighting 5 main aspects:
- He never deserted the club: Totti has only had eyes for the Giallorossi but even if his trophy haul at Roma has been fairly modest – one Scudetto, two Italian Cups – his reputation is huge.
- His selflessness and sense of humor: Totti has taken his role as UNICEF’s Ambassador to help others. His humbleness is simply fantastic. He also expressed his point of view about retiring his No.10 shirt when he goes saying that everyone deserves to dream of wearing that AS Roma jersey in the future.
- He keeps on going: “I am 38 but I don’t feel it,” Totti told UEFA.com upon becoming the oldest goalscorer in UEFA Champions League history in 2014. Totti is feeling well and his passion for soccer goes beyond age (40). He is still like a child who likes to have the ball at his feet, although he is now also a man of many virtues and strengths.
- Even his penalties are special: Totti scored several great goals and became famous for his crazy penalty against the Netherland national team. Many people are now replicating that magic shot that he invented but his class goes beyond a fancy penalty. Totti has been able to amaze the crowds. More than once, opponent fans stood up and clapped their hands to praise his magic on the pitch. In my opinion, his best goal is that scored against Inter at San Siro Stadium in 2005. After a ball recovery, he dribbled several opponents and closed the action with a marvelous lob. Amazing!
- His celebrations make every goal seem special: We are talking about a footballer that could have been a great actor as well. It might be even possible that that will be his next career. Francesco Totti has a creativity out of the ordinary. One time he took the place of a television cameraman to film the scenes of joy in the Curva Sud. Another time he took a selfie with the Roma fans in the background. What a genius he is!